Monday, September 12, 2011

I want s'more please!

I'm a sucker for s'mores.  I didn't camp much when I was younger, so I don't know where my penchant for this dessert arose, but whenever I see it on a menu, it's sooooooo hard for me to resist.  The combination of marshmallow (roasted over a fire, of course, so you can get that toasty burnt mess) and chocolate chunk (which also melts from the heat of the marshmallow), sandwiched between two cookies and it becoming an ooey-gooey mess all over?  All I can say is it's pure childhood bliss!

But, sadly, it's not appropriate to run around with chocolate and marshmallow all over your hands and face, nor is it very convenient or attractive (unless you're 3 years old), so I have created an easy, delicious, and vegan way to enjoy this classic.

Marshmallows are not vegan.  They contain gelatin (which is made from collagen from animal's skin and bones).  But Dandies makes a great substitute.  It doesn't exactly melt like a regular marshmallow (so as you're heating in the pot, it's going to take some extra arm muscle to stir it up), but it works for this recipe.


4 cups Cascadian Farms Organic Cinnamon Crunch cereal (It's nearly impossible to find a graham cracker flavored cereal that does not have honey in it, but the cinnamon-flavored cereals work great.  I like ones that are shaped like little squares, so they look like mini graham crackers.)

1- 10 oz. package Dandies air-puffed marshmallows 

2 tbsp Earth Balance butter

4 oz. Sunspire grain sweetened chocolate chips

Melt butter in large pot over medium heat.  When melted, add marshmallows.  Stir to coat the marshmallows with the butter and continue stirring until the marshmallows melt and become a single glob.  (Sorry, it's the best way I can describe this.)  Add cereal and stir to coat.

Press into 9 x 9 square pan.  Let cool to harden.

Once cooled down, cut into 1 x 1 squares (and possibly again diagonally to make triangles if you're serving more people).

Melt chocolate chips in double boiler.  Drizzle chocolate over each s'more and enjoy!

I feel a song coming on...

Kumbaya, my Lord.  Kumbaya...

No comments:

Post a Comment