Thursday, December 8, 2011

Sweet Tooth Sweets

I have a BIG sweet tooth.  When I went vegan, I wasn't sure what would be in store for me because I couldn't imagine baking without eggs, sugar, butter.  I thought the cakes would taste dry, gritty, "healthy", in short, not yummy.  But I was utterly wrong.  My baking experiments have turned out great, sometimes even better than their counterparts, and every time, the only reason my friends know it's vegan is because I told them.

But, I don't always have time to whip up a batch of cookies or cupcakes, so in a pinch, I have some faithful standbys to help me when I need an afternoon pick-me-up!

Justin's Peanut Butter Cups:  These peanut butter cups are so rich, so creamy, so chocolately, and sooooooooooooo much more delicious than a plain old Reese's.  What's even better is that it has less sugar than Reese's and they're organic!  Only the dark chocolate cups are vegan because the milk chocolate ones obviously have milk.  Justin, I <3 you.

Alternative Baking Company:  My favorite, favorite, favorite cookie hands down!  The Explosive Espresso Chip cookie reminds me of the Neiman Marcus cookie (you know the one that is now part of urban legend history).  It has that chocolatey goodness with a hint of coffee.  And the Double Chocolate Decadence cookie is this chocolate lover's fave.  As an bonus, follow the helpful tips on the back of the package and microwave the cookie for 30 seconds- it truly tastes like a cookie straight out of the oven!

Isabella's Cookie Company:  I've seen these cookies at different markets here and there, but never got them because everything contained eggs, dairy, etc.  But imagine my surprise when I went to Whole Foods the other day and saw they created a vegan line-up!  The V-chip, V-nutter, V-oat, V-coco and their newest flavor: The V Break-feast!  Maple waffle cookie with chocolate chips and bacun.   It tastes like bacon strips smothered in maple syrup.  It's definitely an acquired taste, I'll admit, but if you like sweet and savory together, this is the cookie for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment