Thursday, October 6, 2011

Breakfast of Champions!

Tofu scrambles are a HUGE part of a vegan lifestyle.  Almost very vegan cookbook will contain some form of the recipe.  And why not?  It's quick.  It's easily substituted for scrambled eggs.  And it doesn't give you all that unwanted fat and cholesterol, so there's also a health benefit.  No wonder it is considered a mainstay of vegan cooking.

But I admit, in 10 months, I haven't made one.  Mostly because I'm not a big fan of eggs in the first place and would happily pick a bowl of oatmeal over an omelet.  But this week, as I'm trying to squeeze in my protein, I thought I would give it a try and you know?  It was surprisingly good.  With 21 grams of protein per serving, it also kept me quite full until lunch (so I didn't even have to snack!)

Another great thing about scrambles is that you can add anything that you want (and you know I'm a fan of versatility!)  You can mix and match with different "meats" and veggies, even creating a version of a Denver scramble if you wanted to, the options are endless!  And no need to make a special grocery trip for ingredients; I actually just used leftover ingredients from my stuffed peppers on Monday to make this scramble (tomatoes, spinach and mushrooms)!  Add a slice of cheese on top (or scramble it into the tofu), couple slices of bacon on the side, and you got yourself one satisfying breakfast


No comments:

Post a Comment