Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Hot Diggity-Dog!


Families have them all the time: mother-daughter day, father-son day, sister day, etc.  But does anyone really have a mommy-doggy day?  Sure, we spend time with our pets, play fetch with them in the park or brush their fur while watching TV.  But how many of us find time to give them our entire day?

I recently logged a lot of hours at work, so I decided to spend the day with my pups.  We started off with a good, healthy walk in the morning then hopped in the car and headed to the recycling center to recycle our bottles and cans.  They were very good sorters!

Now it was off to lunch and I had a great place in mind!  A friend had forwarded me an email from Urban Daddy for a dog-friendly restaurant, Wirtshaus, on Beverly Blvd. and La Brea Blvd. in the Los Angeles/West Hollywood district.  We sat outside on the covered patio and enjoyed the people watching.  We were the only patio patrons; everyone else was inside watching the soccer game (or football since we were technically in a European establishment).  I love this place because they catered to the dogs, bringing them a bowl of water and they even had treats on the menu!


I ordered the vegetarian sausage lunch which included 2 sides for $8.  Great deal!  I added fries and sauerkraut.  The fries were crispy on the outside and sprinkled with sea salt and pepper.  The “sour”-kraut was perfectly matched against the saltiness of the sausage.  Top it all off with a pear cider and I was stuffed! 
 
 
Incidentally, they did have a wide selection of German beers, but since I’m not a beer drinker, I don’t know whether these were vegan or not.
Later, we went home and settled in front of the TV to watch some CSI: Miami.  Mookie has a thing for David Caruso’s character (although he’ll deny it if you ask him), but even that wasn’t enough to keep him awake.  Within 5 minutes, both dogs were OUT and we all took a long nap.


 
I know it’s hard to have pets when you work.  This was one of the reasons why I resisted getting one for so long.  I didn’t think it would be fair with my schedule.  But once I took on the responsibility, I did whatever I could to ensure they were happy, healthy and not neglected.  I have dog-walkers and take them to daycare, plan puppy playdates with friends, but I also know none of it replaces a well-spent day with just the three of us!  I can’t wait to plan our next outing!

Now, if only I can convince my employer to allow “Bring your doggy to work” Day…

No comments:

Post a Comment