Thursday, August 11, 2011

The beginning...

My journey to become vegan started (unknowingly) 2 years, 3 months and 16 days ago.  It was this day that I met my little boy, Mookie!  Never having pets, I liked my life the way it was: clean, orderly, fur-less.  But the second I held him and he licked my hand, I knew my life would never be the same.

As he grew, I learned about responsible ownership as well as all the social issues surrounding pets, from puppy mills and backyard breeders to the cruelty of dog-fighting (I don't think I would have had as strong of an opinion of Michael Vick pre-Mookie).  So, I knew my next dog would definitely be a rescue.  I found little Tokki at "Happy Angels Rescue."  She had previously been abandoned, was flea-infested and had a skin condition.  One look at her sad eyes, I wanted to take her home and give her everything I could.  So, on Halloween of 2010, we officially became of happy family of 3.

Flash-forward two more months, my friend announced her plans of going vegan.  Having been vegetarian for 19 years, this was a natural progression for her.  Me?  A full-time carnivore? Not so much.  I always had visions of what I thought "veganism" meant: copious amounts of vegetables, fake meats, the deprivation of wonderfully rich ooey gooey goodness.  But I realized that if I was truly the dog-lover I claimed to be, I needed to have compassion to save the animals as well.  Not to mention that I know my personality and I am never one to back away from a challenge.  So I said, "So am I!"


Bringing Tokki home
I got on google right away, bought cookbooks, got rid of all my non-vegan staples in the household and January 3rd, I became vegan.  I have had a great time experimenting with my favorite recipes, finding substitutes for meat and cheese, etc.  I will say, vegan cheese certainly has come a long way!  And though it has not always been easy or delicious, I have found great benefits of my new lifestyle from weight loss to saving money and meeting new friends.  Not to mention, the animals I have spared.


I will admit that I am not perfect and there are days when I fall off the wagon.  But this is not a race; it's a long journey.


So, here is a salute to all those who have taught me about the joys of canine companionship and the yumminess of vegan cooking.  I hope my posts will enlighten and inspire others to join the journey.

P.S.  Tokki is my VegNews Bucket List #87: Rescue a companion animal.

No comments:

Post a Comment