Monday, August 15, 2011

An Invitation



One of the first pieces of advice I received when I started this blog series was "Join http://www.blogher.com/."  I did and I was completely amazed at the breadth and depth of intelligent, savvy women sharing their ideas, thoughts or events.  I was immediately drawn to one:
"Food Bloggers Make Peanut Butter Pie to Support, Remember" by Genie Gratto.  It had everything: love & loss, marriage & family, human kindness, and most of all, a decadent recipe.  A fellow food blogger, Jennifer Perillo, lost her husband suddenly.  In her most recent blog, she asked readers to honor Mikey's memory and bake his favorite pie for someone they love.  I didn't know Jennifer or her husband, but I was so moved by the outpouring of support she received from fellow bloggers and strangers alike that I went on facebook and RSVP'd for this wonderful event.

And then the researching began to make the veganized version of course.  Things like butter and cream cheese were easy; I had been doing that since day 1.  Heavy cream and condensed milk, though, were a little trickier in my mind ('til now, I just avoided those recipes altogether).  But I was determined to be part of the movement.

First, a special thank you to Jenny Engel of Sporkfoods for helping me with some of the substitutions and proportions.  Second, to all my friends not able to enjoy this in person, here is a piece for you.  Know that it was made with love and comes with my utmost gratitude: Thank you for being a friend.


8 oz Jovial crispy cocoa cookies
4 tbsp Earth balance butter, melted (you made need an extra tablespoon or two if your cookie mixture is too dry or it won't stay up on the sides of the pan)
1/4 cup roasted & unsalted peanuts, chopped
4 oz Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips
16 oz Tofutti cream cheese
1-1/2 cup peanut butter, creamy style (I used one that was just peanuts, no added sugar and salt)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup Mimiccreme
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
Optional: nuts, chocolate chips, Soyatoo soy whip topping

Grind cookies in a food processor until fine.  Transfer to bowl.  Pour in butter and mix with fork until well combined.  Pour mixture into 9-in springform pan and press into bottom and sides (1 inch).  Sprinkle peanuts on bottom.  Melt chocolate chips in double boiler and pour over peanuts.  With spatula, spread chocolate to edges.  This actually was a difficult step because the chocolate would pull up the cookie crumbs on the bottom of the pan.  It worked best to use the tip of a knife to move things around vs. the large spatula.  Place crust in refrigerator while you prepare the filling.

For the filling, combine the cream cheese (I set mine out at room temperature for about 15-20 minutes so that it would be easier to cream together) and peanut butter in a large bowl and beat together until creamy.  Once smooth, gradually beat in powdered sugar.  Pour in mimicreme and beat until combined.  Last, add vanilla and lemon juice and mix.

Pour into prepared pan and allow the pie to set overnight.

Garnish with soy whipped topping, chocolate drizzle and peanuts, if desired.

P.S. Here is the link to the original recipe as posted on Jennifer's blog.  It brought tears to my eyes.

3 comments:

  1. That looks awesome! Where did you get the Mimiccreme?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought it at Whole Foods. I had to ask where to find it because it is not where you think it would be (i.e. milk section?) It is a non-refrigerated item.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post! Combining compassionate cooking with compassionate social media. Double wonderful!

    ReplyDelete