Thursday, August 18, 2011

I say po-ta-to, You say po-tah-to

I introduced a friend to Native Foods yesterday.  It's one of my favorite places: it's conveniently near work, they're vegan, and they have a rewards program!  I love the Baja Surf Tacos, the Reuben sandwich (or feuben as my friends call it) and the Oklahoma Bacon Cheeseburger (the only thing that could make this burger any better would be to add onion rings).

I remember the first time I went there with a co-worker.  This was our conversation:

Him: (takes a bite of the Twister Wrap) Wow, this is good.
Me: Isn't it?  Mine taste just like fish tacos!
Him: What's it made of?
Me: Well, there are different things, pea proteins, soy, but there's also tempeh and seitan.
Him: And what's this?
Me: Sweet potato fry.
Him: What's it made of?
Me: Ummm... Sweet potatoes.

It hit me just then how people must assume that all vegan food is "fake" and something ordinary like a sweet potato fry can't in fact be a sweet potato.  I admit, yes, the chicken is not chicken and the fish is not fish.  But they are made of nutritious ingredients like vital wheat gluten and soy, for instance.  Plus, you get that little boost of feel-goodness knowing no animals were harmed in the process.  And as an extra bonus, as my friend put it, "I can at the whole burger AND fries and not feel guilty!"  And eat it WE DID!
Chili Cheese Fries
Oklahoma Bacon Cheeseburger w/ fried pickles!

Baja Surf Tacos
Blueberry Cheesecake


No comments:

Post a Comment